Friday, May 12, 2017

Nearly There

Well we're nearly at the end of another season. SATs are over and GCSEs are about to begin.

It's been a good period for Waveney-Tutoring and I've worked with some great tutees. Pupils I've really enjoyed being with.

The GCSE maths papers are so hard this year.

The new level system has been accompanied by a degree of complexity that many are finding disheartening.

Three papers instead of two, new harder topics and having to learn by rote all the maths formulae previously given to you.

My thoughts and sympathies are with them.

I sometimes ask myself.... "do we really want pupils to go on to further maths?"

The stresses and strains of the new system, coupled with the threat of "maths jail" in the sixth form colleges if you you don't get level 4 seem very harsh indeed to an old timer like me!

Thank God I'm no longer at school.

Would I ever have followed the engineering career that I did if I it had been so difficult  and stressful then?  Probably not.......